Museum Curator of Education
Location: Orange County Regional History Center
The Orange County Regional History Center is seeking a highly qualified individual to fill the position of Museum Curator of Education. The History Center is a national multi-award-winning, AAM accredited, and Smithsonian affiliated institution centered around its mission: to serve as the gateway for community engagement, education, and inspiration by preserving and sharing Central Florida’s continually unfolding story.
This position is responsible for assisting with the management and oversight of the museum’s educational and public programs, as well as the department staff. Work is performed with considerable independence under the general supervision of the Chief Curator.
- Develops, oversees, and delivers History Center educational, public, and exhibition-related programs.
- Supervises education department staff, volunteers, and interns.
- Works with the marketing team to enhance awareness of departmental initiatives.
- Assists with cultivating and maintaining relationships with community organizations, federal, regional, state, and other external agencies, as well as donors and corporate sponsors throughout Central Florida.
- Composes grant proposals and manages grant-funded projects, including reporting and budgets.
- Oversees departmental budget and assists in institutional budget preparation.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in education, museum studies, history, or a closely related field.
- At least three years of education and public program management experience.
- Demonstrated personnel management experience.
- Effective and exceptional written and verbal communication skills with both internal teams and external stakeholders; comfortable with public speaking.
- Possesses a strong working knowledge of museum best practices.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master’s degree in education, museum studies, history, or related field; or an equivalent combination of education, training, or experience.
- Grant writing and grant management experience.
- Historical anthropological knowledge of Florida and American material culture.
The Orange County online application, in addition to a cover letter and resume, must be completed for a candidate to be considered. Complete work history, including internships and volunteer positions must be included in the application or it will be deemed incomplete. Please include a cover letter with your resume as a single document during submission.
The above description and qualifications are not all-inclusive and represent a majority of the key responsibilities of this position. Other duties may be assigned as required to fulfill the directives of the strategic plan or as designated by executive staff. Work environment is a combination of office setting and providing educational programming for various ages, with some walking and driving between the office to the Museum and local businesses or schools; must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
*Final Candidates must successfully pass a background screening and fingerprinting, must be able to live and work in the United States, and may be required to pass a drug test. Interview and relocation expenses are not offered.
Hours Per Week: 40 Hours
Schedule: Generally, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday – Friday, evenings and weekends may be required.
Primary Work Location: Orange County Regional History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd., Orlando, FL 32801
$24.03 per hour (based on qualifications)
*Potential salary exceeding the minimum is evaluated by Human Resources and the Department Director
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements:
All newly hired Orange County Government employees are required to become vaccinated against COVID-19 (within 6 weeks of their start date), unless otherwise exempt due to medical or religious reasons. New hires will be required to submit a vaccination Certification Form via a secure link on their first day of work. No documentation regarding vaccination status will be required prior to the start date.
TO OFFICIALLY APPLY, PLEASE VISIT WWW.OCFL.NET