The Orange County Regional History Center is pleased to announce the annual John Young History Maker Award Future Award and Scholarship. Named after Captain John Young, Orlando’s hometown hero who became the longest-serving astronaut in NASA’s history, the award recognizes a Central Florida high school senior who will pursue higher education with the goal of inspiring action toward a better future. One high school senior will receive a $1,000 scholarship toward their college education.
This year’s award is generously sponsored by Thomas Cloud, Esq., member of the Historical Society of Central Florida Board of Directors.
Applicants for the award and scholarship should:
- Be a graduating senior at any Central Florida high school.
- Have been accepted to attend an accredited two- or four-year college or university.
- Be available to receive the John Young History Maker Future Award and make a speech (live or recorded) at the 15th annual John Young History Maker Celebration on August 31, 2021.
REQUIRED MATERIALS FOR A COMPLETE SUBMISSION:
- Complete the online application.
- Submit a 500-word essay inspired by the following quote from John Young’s memoir, Forever Young:
“If you remember anything from Forever Young, please let it be that John W. Young – as engineer, as pilot, as astronaut, as explorer, as human being – was forever thinking about how we could all make the next trip forward – and make it the best, most exciting, most educational, most edifying, yet safest trip that humankind has ever made. That’s sure the one I want to go on next.”
The essay must be double-spaced in size 12 Arial font and must include the word count.
- Attach a list of major accomplishments and volunteer work (please limit to one page).
- Attach a letter of acceptance to an accredited two- or four-year college or university.
Complete application, essay, and attachments must be received by 5 p.m. on July 31, 2021.
HAVE A QUESTION?
For additional information, contact Amanda Parish Walters at 407-836-8376 or by email Amanda.Parishwalters@ocfl.net.
JOHN YOUNG HISTORY MAKER SCHOLARSHIP 2021 APPLICATION
NOTE: Applications MUST be accompanied by the required 500-word essay (see instructions) and the following attachments: list of major accomplishments and volunteer work and a letter of acceptance to an accredited two- or four-year college or university.